Remote Desktop + SSH/Putty
||The article you are reading has moved! It is now available at: http://blog.tinisles.com/2006/03/remote-desktop-sshputty/|
- Connections through Firewall via SSH tunnel
- Configuring OpenSSH (Win32) for Public Key Authentication
- Install OpenSSH on the target machine, and install Putty on a non-firewalled machine somewhere. Go though the steps in the first document, and forget everything about the HTTP proxy stuff. If you can click 'Open' in Putty and see the 'Login:' prompt you're on the right track. exception in Windows Firewall to let port 443 in. Experiment with a different port number - make sure you configure the right port number in sshd_config, your router, and windows firewall.
- Now that works try the HTTP proxy bit.
- Happy with that? Now try setting up the public key authentication. I had some troubles here with OpenSSH being very sensitive to config settings. After changing a setting the SSH terminal window (above) wouldn't display anything. Keep a back-up of the config file when it works!